Sunday, October 21, 2012

Faux Pesto



I took out the mortar and pestle this afternoon and ground 2 tablespoons of dried basil until it released its oils. Once fine enough to resemble basil dust, I added 2 tablespoons of powdered garlic and then about ½ teaspoon of pepper (only now do I think I should have used peppercorns for a more textured finished, but maybe next time). I then incorporated everything into ½ cup of olive oil and a dash of lemon juice.

The result of this is a wet dressing.

I finished it with grated Parmesan – this I eyeballed and estimate at about one tablespoon plus a little more. The dressings, as you mix in the cheese turned into a thick and chunky paste texture.

I tossed some raw shrimp and let it marinade in it for a couple of hours.

It will broil for 4-6 minutes, in a single layer, and will be served over pasta.

And it shall be awesome…

Faux pesto is better than none at all.

That’s what’s for dinner.

No comments: