Sunday, November 18, 2012

Buffalo Turkey Wings


There are only two of us at the house, so we never make a turkey for Thanksgiving (unless we are hosting dinner).

In culinary terms, I feel about Thanksgiving as much as I do of New Year’s Eve in terms of party time: amateur night. I generally let the crazy people deal with it and just take an extended nap.

Because Thanksgiving is coming, there is an abundance of turkey food products. We oblige the marketing and distribution geniuses that flood the market with the giant birds and enjoy a variety of turkey parts – though rarely the full monty.

Last night I made one of my favorite recipes: Buffalo Turkey Wings

If you click on the image, you’ll get all the ingredients and cooking instructions. Two notes for you:

*For those who cannot consume salt or who are curtailing its use, you may substitute with other seasonings, including powdered garlic.

**I tend to start with one full tablespoon of Frank’s Red Hot and then add a few dashes until I can’t stand the heat. Starting with two tablespoons of hot sauce requires a certain stamina.

Because I am a rebel, I tend to change it up a bit every time I make this. Last night, for instance, I used olive oil instead of butter. I also added a dash of thyme to the flour mixture (because I like to add an aromatic to it and get a hint of it as I brown the wings).

The result will be a succulent wing, with a crispy skin permeated with a spicy finish that also lends it some moisture.

The beauty of it is that you may use the basting liquid to season baked sweet potatoes by spooning some of it over the tubers.

We also had green bean salad with marinated artichokes. If you are only cooking for two, this is as good a Thanksgiving meal as any -- if you are inclined to celebrate with turkey.

No comments: